Friday, October 28, 2011


On Rosh Chodesh Elul, at six in the evening, the telephone rang at the home of Rabbi Chaggai Halevi, Rabbi of the Ramah shul in Givatayim [and also Chabad shliach in the Diamond Exchange in Ramat Gan].
Eli, the owner of the Hapitzutziah kiosk, was on the line. He wanted to invite the Rabbi to a special ceremony at the shul on Friday before the beginning of Shabbos. The ceremony was in honor of the closure of the kiosk from the beginning of Shabbos until the end. Rabbi Halevi was surprised and delighted by this news. This doesn’t happen every day and Rabbi Halevi could not hide his pleasure. He praised his friend the kiosk owner, saying, “May Hashem bless you with His great generosity.”
“You should know that I got the courage to do this because when you and your children walk to shul on Shabbos, you always wish me a gentle ‘Good Shabbos,’ the warmth and sweetness of which penetrates and warms my heart,” said Eli. “And I really couldn’t stand in its way. You have never spoken to me about keeping Shabbos, and that’s what got me.” (from shmais; israeli newspaper)

No comments: