Sunday, July 03, 2011

Mezuzah (short story)

The Parthian king, Artiban, once sent a priceless jewel to Rabbi Yehudah HaNassi, the compiler of the Mishna and one of the wealthiest Jews at the time. The king made it obvious that he expected something of equal value in return. The Rabbi's return gift to the king was a Mezuzah. The king's reply was: "I sent you something priceless and you sent me something that can be bought for a paltry sum!?" The Rabbi answered: "You sent me something that I must hire a guard to watch, and I sent you something that will watch over you!" (Talmud Yerushalmi, Peah 1:1)

2 comments:

Channa said...

A very nice story!!!! Powerful message

the sabra said...

agreed!

tis from Moshiach Weekly

subscribe here-

http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001Uea-ywoMgTBX3E3_6NAmGQ%3D%3D