Sunday, July 04, 2010

Wisdom Teeth

They are generally thought to be called wisdom teeth because they appear so late – much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are presumably "wiser" than as a child, when the other teeth erupt.


Different terms in other languages

Some languages use a different term for the same teeth, for example:

  • Turkish refers directly to the age at which wisdom teeth appear and calls it 20 yaş dişi (20th year tooth).
  • In Korean, its name is Sa-rang-nee (사랑니, love teeth) referring to the young age and the pain of the first love.
  • In Japanese, its name is Oyashirazu (親知らず), literally meaning "unknown to the parents," from the idea that they erupt after a child has moved away.
  • The Indonesian term gigi bungsu for the last teeth a person cuts refers to bungsu, meaning "youngest child", because the teeth erupt so much later than the others, implying that the teeth are "younger" than the rest.
  • In Thailand, the wisdom tooth is described fan-khut (ฟันคุด) "huddling tooth" due to its shortage of space.
  • In the Netherlands, the wisdom tooth is known as the verstandskies or "far standing tooth" referring to its remote location in the mouth. A second meaning for verstand is also "wisdom".

6 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

You are a totally fun source of information I did not know I needed!

the sabra said...

heehee thanx :D

mum said...

Very informative. Sheesh.

the sabra said...

Ohhhhhhhh so next time you want me to write a whole long kvetchy post about my wisdom teeth aggravating me and me not having a dentist to go to? Ohhhh okay. Now I get it. Now I totally get it.

mum said...

No. I never said that. Why would i want a kvetchy post or shmost or anything kvetchy?

the sabra said...

The Japanese one is the best :D