Monday, January 18, 2010

Pinning Back My Bangs

Sometimes it's the smallest of actions that can make the biggest of differences. (Ask the shooting panda for references).

Last post was NOT about Jewish girls marrying Arabs r'l (yes Rachel, I'll take that frummy badge and pin it on proudly. Ye, proudly, J/S). I did read an article last week, though, bout a woman who finally had the chance to flee, with her kids, from her abusive Arabic husband. Thanks to Yad L'Achim, she can now continue her life surrounded by Jews. These stories wow me to no end. And especially how one of the soldiers by the Erez Crossing, where she escaped through, says that he donates to Yad L'Achim and feels privileged to have been involved now. (I wrote about another one of these stories last year, and last month I actually read a followup of it!)
Talkin bout Erez Crossing, I think that's where we did our Yom Ha'Atzmaut BarBQ. Wow what a memory. I have some fantastic photos from that day. Son, see our temunois/mesula exchange. Heehee.
Oy Mesula. Whatta mishugeneh I am. Mixing up Yossi and Eliram. LOLLLLLL.

So, the post. And my blog.
I constantly alternate between these two approaches that Robert Frost summarizes. But I also confuse myself with my intense desire to be heard and understood.
Today, reading Ruti's comment, I got it.
The difference in desire and choice depends with whom this communication is taking place.
With some, I want and need to be understood down to the italics and spaces in my brain.
With others, I'm content and even prefer to be understood wrong :)

20 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

And THIS dichotomy illustrates the poet in your soul, as opposed to the journalist in the souls of others.

Rachel said...

I'll buy you some polish so you could make sure to keep it a shiny badge.

Also, her husband was Arabic? Nice. I know someone with a Hebrew husband and another with a Farsi wife. Maybe they can form a club for people who married languages.
(I know, *nerd snort*)

Rachel said...

Subscribing, as usual.

the sabra said...

Ya when I reread it I had noticed it but decided to leave it in. Now I'm uber glad I did.

Funk.

and for a sec I thought the polish was for the shield that you are breaking with a hammer.

Rachel said...

Not in response to your comment here:

Si. I see. What's with the title?

the sabra said...

It happened and then the first line crossed my mind and then the rest flowed.

Si now?

Rachel said...

Si. Por supuesto.

Aqui ahora no escuchar de la tengo escondero y escucha de lay playa. Tu es sospechosa.

the sabra said...

Y TU eres kmo la necha

Rachel said...

Chas y sh'lom.

Rachel said...

Stop encouraging mio lashon bado. No vista rapido.

the sabra said...

chas y shalom wins.

and how do you think ruti is gonna feel when she opens up to a spanish infested inbox?

afroson said...

mesuuula
lollll

you gave me a good childhood sista

the sabra said...

let's talk more in spanish, rachel. i like it.

and sonia, vus iz dos?? you're not a child anymore? ooooooooone second!

rutimizrachi said...

Ich habe nichts gegen ein wenig Spanischen. Genießen Sie! Amüsieren Sie sich! ;-)

Rachel said...

Mi tachmod porque ruti habla yiddisho. NO que tengo bananas en la playa.

the sabra said...

wow this post is still on the 'homepage' of my blog. it's from aaaaaages ago.

rutimizrachi said...

Well, whatever makes you pop up in my email is a groovy thing by me. Nice to see you! Miss you! Much love,

Rutima <3

the sabra said...

Usage of "groovy" instantly groovitates user.

Rock on Ima!

rutimizrachi said...

Wow. I been "grooviatated"! I wonder how long it takes to get a word into regular circulation...

the sabra said...

Yeh I like grooviate better than groovitate. Thanks.