Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A Wonderful Day, I Had Today

For a change, I didn't feel like a failure today.
And it's a peaceful, grateful, satisfied feeling I have instead.
Let's start from the morning.

~Easily woke up on time (5:40am) cuz had gone to bed early (10pm) the night before.
~Found clothes quickly, davened with no interruptions, had yummy breakfast (still no olive oil in the house but eventually found some good eggs and had my cooked meal).
~Driver didn't come as late as he sometimes does and he wasn't wearing as much gag-inducing cologne as he usually does.
~Two kids less in the car which means much less fighting (from them) and less begging (from me) to do the pesukim.
~Because the driver wasn't so late, I was able to make copies of the Aleph-Beis sheets (which I had prepared from the day before) that I needed for my first class.
~I greeted all in English rather than yielding (as I regularly do) to the customs (ie language) of the place.
~It was a real pleasure to see the kids-I hadn't spent davening time with them in a long time.
~I was asked to go into the other class for davening but held my ground that I wasn't able to and was consequently allowed to remain with my regular class for davening.
~The kids all recognized the picture of 770 as the shul of the Rebbe
~Shockingly, GY recognized the Beis and Veis. She also spat out, with astounding ease, Hebrew replies to the questions I asked in Hebrew. Wow!
~The kids got a clearer picture of the Parsha when the director came in and 'splained it to em in Spanish.
~I used my hour break to prepare the project I had intended to and I was also able to help a few aides by saying brachot with two other classes. (yeh? you write aides like that? it looks funny). As a bonus, for snack, I had my brown-rice crackers that I had prepared in the morning, guilt free cuz someone is bézrat hashem coming in from New York this week.
~The younger class went well b''h (I think I shall delete circle time from our schedule and geéndikt. Say, this Spanish accent or whatever that ' is called, works well for Yiddish, and I'd guess Hebrew, as well)
~Easy time by lunch with the brachot
~Walked into a teachers meeting (in order to fill up my pitcher), and got a round of applause from the staff and parents that were present.
~Arranged the driver for today, satisfactorily, as well as for the future, también satisfactorily.
~Had time to daven Mincha and finish Tehillim before twas time to go.
~I (sorta) found what I needed in the store (before tomorrow).
~Came home at 2:45 (rejoiced over the lemons in the fridge!) and had time to finish Chitas, grab a carrot and my gym stuff but not feel rushed ;)
~Get a call from M.R. She tells me that her daughter started responding positively and negatively to properly convey her wants! I only worked with her once or twice on that! Wow! Also, she told me more nice things they said by the teachers meeting.
~On way to gym, was able to start a 'Killer Soduku' with NO hints from the back!
~At the gym, I noticed I left half my outfit at home (heehee, hence the not feeling rushed feeling of before). Gotta chance to check out the stores nearby and also to feel very NORMAL in a NORMAL bike shop. Homesickness eased a notch.
~Worked out well b''h, all the machines are getting easier. And the water worked too :)
~AMAZINGLY no traffic on the way home. Time to shower and prepare AND eat a deluxe meal (TOTALLY healthy and permitted) that I had actually started before (baked sweet potato plus canned salmon 'fried' with an egg and a half an onion). Yum.
~Again, AMAZINGLY no traffic back to other side of town.
~The hour and 15 minutes of therapy went by quickly, as usual. Thing I practiced today: Pulling apart the Clicks (or whatever those things are called) and then sorting them by color in a straight line. Introduced memory cards. Blowing down two blocks at a time, vs one. Imitation (with colored blocks). Feeling the vibrations on the throat to encourage sounds. Stringing beads. And of course "lo" and "ken" and "tichaki" and "achshav" and all those little instructions.
~Got my ride back home right when I needed to and felt happy to be able to help em on the 23rd iyh.
~When I came home, I ate well (healthily, not heartily. Well, that too.), did laundry and typed up my day. And now it's 10:15pm and I'm just about ready to wrap up my day and head for the bed.

How wonderful it is not to feel like a complete failure. Not to feel irresponsible, lazy, overwhelmed, helpless and out of control.
How wonderful it is to feel successful. To feel responsible, prepared, capable and in control.

How wonderful it is. How very very wonderful.
Thank You Hashem and may it be the first of endless more. Gracias!

10 comments:

the sabra said...

In mid of typin this post, I received the Weekly Story from Chabad.org. I found it incredibly apropos. Here, by Mirish Kiszner:

Darkness enveloped the silent streets of Karlin, Russia. All the Jewish inhabitants had hurried to lock themselves inside their homes. The Russian government had decreed that no Jews may be found on the streets after nightfall.

This decree was most difficult for a fiery follower – a chassid – of Rabbi Aaron of Karlin to observe. On one frigid night, this man was overcome with a powerful desire to see his rebbe and to warm his soul by watching the holy man's service of G‑d. Despite the danger, a magnetic longing drew him from his home…

Clutching a Tehillim – the Book of Psalms – in his hand, the chassid hurried through the streets of Karlin, heading to the home of his rebbe.

Suddenly, a Russian policeman stood before him, blocking his path. Immediately, the chassid's hands were bound and he was unceremoniously dumped into the town jail.

"I wasn't destined to see my rebbe tonight," thought the chassid to himself, "but my precious Tehillim has remained with me." And with that, he began to recite the words of Tehillim with warmth and enthusiasm, verse by verse, chapter by chapter.

As the outpouring of prayer ascended to its heavenly place, a pair of wild hands suddenly snatched the Tehillim from him…

The chassid remained unruffled. "My rebbe they wouldn't allow me to see, and my Tehillim they took from me," he whispered to himself. "Nevertheless, I am a Jew!" A wave of joy washed over him at the thought. He rose to his feet and began to dance.

The prison guard peered at him with unbelieving eyes. But his incredulity gave way to hysterics. "Get out of here right now!" he yelled. "This small jail has no room for mentally imbalanced people!"

In happy spirits, the chassid ran at once to his rebbe. Rabbi Aaron greeted him warmly, "If one is joyous to be a Jew, a part of the Jewish nation, one can be rescued from everything!"

Yossi said...

nice

Mushkie said...

wow...there's such a calm, content tone to your post, now all we need is moshiach :).

the sabra said...

Yossi! I'm so glad you commented here-I was tryin to get a hold of you. I wanted to let you know that I admire your no-comments reality of your blog. Whatever the reason is... (if it is a blogger glitch, highly doubt it, i feel for ya)

Yossi said...

what else were you trying besides for waiting for me to comment?

the sabra said...

Refreshing different blog pages. Seeing if your profile has a link. Contacting the Legal Dept of the Red Paint Society to see if they still had your info on files. They did. I preferred not to use it though--figured you might feel embarrassed...

Yossi said...

well, it seems like you had nearly exhausted all your options. it's good I came along and commented when I did. so thanks for your admiration for my blog's changes.

pennie said...

so glad to read about your wonderful day - i'm waiting for one of those perfect days, granted of a very different sort - i figure if it came for you miles away and delivered in spanish, it will prob come for me ;)

the sabra said...

Re smoking--I was told that the Rebbe forbade bochurim under the age of 20 to smoke, and asked-as a bakasha nafshis-that bochurim over twenty, shouldn't.
Not many things the rebbe asked as a "bakasha nafshis"...

the sabra said...

Huh where does that smoking comment fit in? And to clarify, that was the Frierdiker Rebbe. (Eh right?)