Sunday, November 08, 2009

G-dly Heresy; Necessary Ego; Mistaken Depression

They asked the Baal Shem Tov, "The Talmud tells us that for everything G-d forbade, He provided us something permissible of the same sort. If so, what did He permit that corresponds to the sin of heresy?"
The Baal Shem Tov replied, "Acts of kindness."
Because when you see suffering, you don't say, "G-d runs the universe. G-d will take care. G-d knows what is best." You do everything in your power to relieve that suffering as though there is no G-d. You become a heretic in G-d's name.

Do good with all your ego. Say, "I need to make this happen." Say, "I have to see this done."
Not only is this "I" permissible, it is crucial to getting things done.
So what is forbidden? To believe the "I" belongs to you.

Much depression stems from haughtiness.
If you would realize who you really are, you wouldn’t be so disappointed with yourself.

PS. Because people usually don't read the labels--lemme tell you here that these are not my own words. Nor my own ideas. Tzvi Freeman has condensed over 50 years of wisdom from the Lubavitcher Rebbe and sends em out in daily doses. Subscribe here, order his book here. Oh and to further clarify--these were sent out as 3 diff emails over the past 3 past months. I had them starred, waitin to be blogged, and finally put em all together kacha. It flows nicely, no? Yes.

1 comment: