Thursday, August 28, 2008

Heroes of Death; Heroes of Life

He threw himself onto death.
She threw herself onto life.

Two heroes.
* * *

We were talking about Roi. Roi Klein. What a hero. What a decision. What character.
Then she announced, "Mrs. N called me today about carpool."
I wondered why she was changing the topic from something so venerable to something so mundane.
She related, "I was surprised to hear from her as we aren't very close. She wanted to know if we had our rides arranged to and from school."
I thought of the grandeur of his deed. He had jumped onto a live grenade.
She continued, "Though we technically needed to carpool with someone because we had no morning ride, I was still hesitant about committing."
Barely a nanosecond to think, he had yelled out a warning and then "Shma Yisroel" had burst forth from his soul.
She explained, "I really don't like driving; you know that. And carpool? I really hate it. Everybody knows that."
His wife, Sara. His three year old, Gilad. His one year old, Yoav.
She told me, "So I was kinda mumbling and then Mrs. N shared the schedule, 'The K's do the mornings, my husband does the early minyan and I do the afternoons'. I asked her what she wanted me to do as it seemed all was settled already."
It must have been a part of him from forever ago. Such an act has to be nurtured beforehand.
She said, "So Mrs. N told me that she wasn't calling to ask if I could drive; she knows I don't do carpool. She was calling to offer us a place in the car as there is one empty seat available. She wanted nothing from us; she was only extending an invite for a free ride, twice daily."

Without time to deliberate, he gave up his life to save that of others.
With much time to deliberate, she gave up her time to save that of others.

Two Heroes.

4 comments:

Lady-Light said...

כן, רועי היה גבור מוחלט. סברה, את זוכרת אותי?
I removed you from my blogroll b/c you had stopped posting (or so I thought).
where have you been?

hey!!! said...

VERY NICE!

the sabra said...

lady-light:
Of course I remember you. And fondly, may I add :)
Um I haven't stopped posting though I DID close my blog for a bit of time just so I can breathe..without record of it ;)

So, what have you been up to?
Or must I head over to your blog for the answer?

rutimizrachi said...

Your way of weaving the stories of these heroes -- the sublime with the mundane -- leaves me breathless and weeping. It is such a great reminder. We cannot all be Roi Klein, zt"l. Those challenges, thank G-d, don't present themselves often. But the daily challenge to leap on mitzvot that don't appear to "pay" is one we can all try to do. Thank you.