Friday, August 29, 2008

Articles of Interest

Little Leyson
Schindler's List - the sheet of paper, a photocopy, is folded and faded. The original meant the difference between life and death for those fortunate to have their names on it more than 60 years ago.

To more than 1200 Jewish people Oscar Schindler was all that stood between them and death at the hands of the Nazis. A man all too human, full of flaws like the rest of us. The unlikeliest of all role models - a Nazi, a womanisor, a war profiteer. An ordinary man who answered the call of conscience. Even in the worst of circumstances Oscar Schindler did extraordinary things, matched by no one. He remained true to his Jews, the workers he referred to as my children. He kept the SS out and everyone alive.

Leib Lejzon was one of them. One column of numbers and names, No. 69128, Eisendrehergeh., it says in German next to his name. (continue)
---

He Needed A Sign: An Askmoses Story
Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

SoulOnFire: Is it true that before Moshiach comes, 4/5 of the Jews are going to die?

Rabbi Eliezer G: no this is not true

(continue)
---

An 'Angel' From Alabama
For Marisa Hester, a Pentecostal Christian from Prattville, Ala., choosing an outfit for an ultra-Orthodox Crown Heights wedding wasn’t easy. Sorting through her two sets of formalwear, she eventually opted for a knee-length floral skirt and a high-necked black chiffon blouse, embellished with sparkling beads.

She worried, however, that her slightly sheer sleeves were too revealing and would insult her newfound family. (continue)
---

The Atheist
The atheist, too, has a god, and it is himself.

The idolater at least understands there is something greater than him, something beyond the grasp of his physical senses, some external forces to which he is subject. (continue)
---


Shluchim Invited By Queen To Party At Buckingham Palace
SHMAIS.com has learned that Rabbi Aryeh and Devorah Sufrin, Shluchim in Ilford, Essex, England, were invited by her majesty the Queen to her annual garden party. (continue)
---

Chava's son speaks of life in Sderot: "Mommy, I love my shirts"
Earlier this week, a handful of journalists and I huddled together with Chava Gad and her little boy in the hall of their Sderot home. For five long minutes, as Kassam rockets from Gaza exploded nearby, and between the staccato sounds of the "Red Color!" alert, I listened to Yanai's small, frightened cries. When the danger was over, and after Chava and Yanai had taken medication to calm their clearly shattered nerves, we sat in their living room where she shared her story and her feelings about the situation facing her family and her nation. (continue)
---

Reverence
I was putting Tefillin on someone whom I had met on the street.

After he had finished saying the Shema and we were unwinding the Tefillin, I began to talk to him.

"How are you; what brings you to Prague?"

To my surprise, he was silent! (continue)
---


The Ba'al Teshuva
The guest speaker was the world famous Ba’al Teshuvah Moshe (Mark) Wahrburg. Moshe’s story was so inspiring it never failed to fill halls and shuls with enthralled audiences. He had reached the pinnacle of fame and success in Hollywood and lived a life of debauchery and excess. And then he threw it all away after discovering his heritage, eventually becoming fully Orthodox.

The men and women in the audience were taken in by the drama and ultimate glorious ending.

A group of angels were congregating at the window, unseen. (continue)

3 comments:

the sabra said...

From the kid in Sderot--

"The children here talk about this a lot. Yanai asked me, "Do I have to die?" He said, "I don't want to die." He told me, "I love all my shirts, even the old ones." I asked him, "Why are you saying this? I am not going to throw away your shirts." And he said to me, "If one of the rockets kills you, I have to sit in shiva [seven day mourning period] and they will cut my shirt [a Jewish tradition for mourners]." "

Rachel said...

Hey- I didn't get a chance to read all of them yet, but I just read the one from askmoses... WOWOOWWOW! I was in a hurry, so I was about to stop reading after I read the rabbi's answer to the person, then I just thought I may as well read the rest, and am I happy I did! (Halfway through I call out to my brother to come read it, but he had already beat me to it....) Dunno why I just said all that... excitement of the moment, I s'ppose. Shabbat Shalom. :)

the sabra said...

:)

I'm glad you read it! It IS pretty special. Buchashem, buchashem.