Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Gimmel Kislev (the return of the sabra's seforim)

Well, some of em anyhow.
1. Dear Brothers, by Haggai Segal
(Received en route from Frankfurt to Brunoy)
2. Forevermore by Shlomo Kalo
(Purchased in The Pletzel, Paris)

-----

And while we're on the subject of books, here are some of my favorites from "the fat girl"-

"..because I turned to the director and said, "Let me tell you a little secret, fat girls don't keep candy on the desk, they keep it in the drawer. So if you want to have candy on someone's desk, put it on the skinny girl's desk, and I promise I'll give it a little glance every time I walk by."

[Cammy (ed ducks!) uses some pretty colorful (read: curse) words when she hears that she's been nominated for an Emmy.] "Then came the soothing voice of reason. "Yes, it's true. Isn't it fantastic? Congratulations, Camryn. You deserve it. " Jeffrey swears a lot less than I do."

"It reminded me of the time that I was walking down the street in New York and these three high school girls were walking toward me. One of them was a little plump so we shared that I'm-chubby-you're-chubby glance, that smile of commiseration. Then just as we passed each other, she turned to me and said, "Gd, and I thought I was fat!". Though temporarily in shock that one of my own would turn on me, my survival skills kicked in and I wasted little time before retaliating. "You are fat. Just because I'm fat doesn't make you any less fat." "

"Apparently there was a big game of Telephone going on out there....But my all-time favorite was "Good evening, I would like to reserve six tickets for the Friday performance of I Woke Up and I Was Fat." Imagine that. You go to sleep skinny and you wake up fat. Now, that would be an interesting one-woman show.

No comments: