Friday, August 18, 2006

I gave the man a coin

I gave the man a coin. He was sitting on the path I was walking on. I walked and continued on until I reached the bus station.The Central Bus Station in the holiest city. I waited on line, sailed through security, entered the building and climbed the steps to the third floor. The top floor. On the way, I passed people and people passed me. A lot happened on the top floor, but more relevantly, I did a lot on the top floor. Mostly while sitting. Sitting on a low metal bench. I thought long thoughts and hard thoughts. I embraced new decisions and turned my back on old ones and then got drunk. Overwhelmed by the ever present and overpowering 'ness' of the scene, I released myself in order to better preserve. (Additionally, I lent my phone to her, smiled at her and bent down to give her the paper). I took the elevator down all the three flights. I exited the central bus station of the holiest city and walked on. I continued on the path until I saw the same man sitting. I gave him another coin.

12 comments:

Mimi said...

I miss the Tachana.

*sigh*

Lovin' it.

the sabra said...

I love the Tachana.

*sigh*

Missin' it.

wandering said...

missin it? you are gonna be there for another two weeks... I love these posts about the small ordinairy parts of israel that sometimes go unoticed... its funny how in isreal even something as mundane as the bus station holds such memories in them...

the sabra said...

nothing here is mundane and you missed all the symbolisms apparently :( what happened to my genius perceptive friend?

(and u really think im only stayin here for another two weeks? ha!)

pint-sized said...

I love this!
In Yerushaliyim now,and cannot help but feel the holy thing(for lack of a better word)

wandering said...

now now my dear sabra dont accuse me of missing the symbolism and the unmundaneness of your andecote. The part that is so intriguing to me is that going to the bus station IS a mundane and ordinairy act. But in Israel, everything has meaning. Even everyady actions like catching a bus and walking down the street, is a rich experience. Do you nto agree?

wandering said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
remchalamo said...

Sabra this reminds me of when i was at the kotel before shabbos and i was sitting next to a begger woman and her other begger friend came over to her and gave her to rice cakes "lekavod shabbat."
That gave me goosbumps and of course i gave them tzedakkah!

the sabra said...

pintsized:
oy isnt this the best place in the world? my cheeks hurt from grinnin

wanderin:
it had nothin to do with israel. gosh are you so oblivious. sigh. (did you chap the inyan?? LOL!!)

remchalamo:
WOAH ach i love these 'stories'. Theres no nation like ours and there is no land like ours. thanks for sharin...tell us more!!

Avi said...

Miami?

the sabra said...

mah miami? our land?
no, eretz yisrael is our land.

the sabra said...

this piece REALLY is incredible.
there is SO much symbolism.
SO much happened there.
and NO ONE realized.
NOTHING was different in the coin I gave the second time, yet SO much had changed.